TUITION & PAYMENT
TuitionTuition is indicated with each course description and varies depending on course length and class size.
Tuition may be paid by credit card, check, cashier's check or money order, or STAP funds (for those eligible). We cannot accept cash payments in our office. If your check is returned for any reason, we will charge a $25 service fee.
Continuing Studies does not offer a payment program or financial aid. Full payment of tuition and fees is due at the time of registration.
Registration FeesA non-refundable registration fee of $35 is required for each student once per quarter. If the total amount of your course tuition and/or event fee is less than $100, then the registration fee is waived.
Discounts and Tuition AssistanceEach student qualifies for only one discount. Discounts do not apply to courses with tuition under $100 or to special events. Discounts apply only to tuition, not to registration or course fees. Discounts apply only to the person associated with that discount category and cannot be extended to friends or family members. If applying to use a Stanford-affiliated discount, a valid Stanford email address and a university ID number is required.
- Stanford University STAP-Eligible Employees: Employees who work 50% time or more and receive STAP funds may apply up to the full amount of their yearly STAP fund allocation ($800) toward Continuing Studies tuition and registration fees. It is your responsibility to verify that you have sufficient STAP funds before enrolling in a course. To check your STAP balance online, go to http://axess.stanford.edu and login with your SUNet ID by clicking Training > STAP Balance. For more information, see our STAP Policies page.
- Fall Quarter Notice: Since classes start in mid-September, STAP funds for Fall registration are applied to your 2019-2020 account. STAP accounts are replenished on Sept. 1, but you are welcome to register for classes before that date as we will not charge your account until after Sept. 1.
- Stanford University Faculty: Stanford faculty members are not eligible for STAP funds. Faculty may receive a 20% tuition discount. (Eligibility is defined as university faculty who receive a regular paycheck from Stanford and have a valid university ID and Stanford email address. This discount is not available to visiting lecturers.)
- Stanford University Staff/Students/PostDocs (non STAP-Eligible): Other Stanford affiliates who are not STAP-eligible, or who have used up their annual allocation of STAP funds, may receive a 20% tuition discount. A valid university ID and Stanford email address are required.
- Stanford Hospital Employees: Employees of Stanford Hospital and Clinics, or Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, who wish to apply their educational fund allocation toward Continuing Studies courses are asked to pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration and then seek reimbursement from your HR Manager.
- Stanford Alumni Association (SAA) Members: 15% tuition discount (valid ID number required). To obtain your SAA ID number, please contact 650 723-6185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stanford Business School Alumni Association (SBSAA) Members: 15% tuition discount (valid ID number required). To obtain your SBSAA ID number, please visit alumni.gsb.stanford.edu and log into your profile.
- 65+: 20% tuition discount. Students may be required to provide proof of birth date.
- Classroom Teachers: 20% tuition discount. Valid for credentialed teachers currently employed full-time and teaching in a classroom at an accredited academic institution. Students must provide proof of eligibility. The Continuing Studies Program offers this retroactive discount, after verification, to encourage the dissemination of knowledge and scholarship within the classroom. Therefore, this discount is limited as follows.
- Discount eligibility extends to:
- K-12 classroom teachers at public and private schools
- Library staff at K-12 schools
- Faculty/teaching staff at community colleges
- Faculty/teaching staff at public and private four-year universities/colleges
- Discount eligibility does not extend to:
- Administrative/non-teaching staff
- Daycare employees/providers
- Substitute teachers
- Part-time adult school instructors
- Executive education providers
- Library staff not employed in a K-12 school