STAFF TRAINING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (STAP)Eligible Stanford University employees may use STAP funds for any Continuing Studies Course.
- All our courses are pre-approved; employees do not need to seek approval from their manager.
- Our registration system accepts STAP payments directly, so there is no need to seek reimbursement.
Stanford University Employees who work 50% time or more and receive STAP funds may apply up to the full amount of their yearly STAP fund allocation ($800) toward Continuing Studies tuition and registration fees. Faculty, students, temporary employees, retirees, or other non-staff University affiliates are not eligible. (Stanford Hospital employees use a different education fund allocation. Please see your HR Manager for reimbursement instructions).
When Can I Use STAP Funds?Each year, STAP funds are made available on September 1st and will expire on August 31. Unused STAP funds do not carry over to the following fiscal year, so you should be sure to use them during the current academic year. If you are registering for a Fall course (prior to September 1st), we will accept your registration request to use STAP funds for the upcoming year. Your STAP request will be held and then submitted to the STAP office after September 1.
How Do I Use STAP Funds?Follow these instructions to apply your STAP funds in the Tuition Assistance step of our online registration process:
- If you are new to our program, create a student account here. You must use your Stanford email address when you create your account. If you prefer to receive communications to your personal email, you can always change your email address on file after completing registration.
- Add the course(s) you would like to take to your cart and begin the registration process. When you reach Step 2 and are asked to select a discount, select “I am a Stanford employee using STAP funds.” You will be asked to enter the 8-digit university ID number found above the photo on your Stanford ID card.
- Next, you will be asked to enter the amount of STAP funds you would like to apply towards your registration. You can choose to pay the full amount with STAP, or you can enter a partial amount and pay the remaining balance with a credit/debit card. Make sure you know how much STAP if you have available (see How to Check Your Balance below).
- Continue on to accept our policies and review your registration details. If you are paying in full with STAP, this will be the final step; if you are paying partially with a credit/debit card, you will be redirected to our payment processor to provide your payment details.
PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to pay with a credit card, and then decide to later switch your payment to STAP, you will be redirected to the STAP reimbursement process.
How to Check Your Balance:Please be sure to verify your STAP eligibility and that you have sufficient STAP funds before enrolling in a course. To check eligibility and your STAP balance online, go to https://axess.stanford.edu and login with your SUNet ID. Click on the STARS tab >> My STAP Balance.
What Can STAP Funds Pay For?Courses
You can use your STAP funds toward Continuing Studies course tuition, registration fee, and any applicable course fees.
In many cases, you can purchase textbooks required for Continuing Studies courses and get reimbursed through your STAP funds. For further details, please consult with the person in your department who handles reimbursements.
Need More Information?
Many helpful answers to your questions about STAP can be found by visiting the Cardinal at Work website »
Please note that your registration in Continuing Studies courses will not be final until we receive confirmation from Human Resources of your STAP eligibility and balance.