SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSThe Continuing Studies online courses use the Canvas learning management system. Canvas and its hosting infrastructure are designed for maximum compatibility and minimal requirements. Students will use Canvas to access weekly lessons and assignments, videos, and use discussion boards to interact with each other and with the instructor.
Canvas is best viewed at a minimum of 1024x600, which is the average size of a notebook computer. If you want to view Canvas on a device with a smaller screen, we recommend using the Canvas mobile app.
- Windows XP SP3 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.6 and newer
- Linux - chromeOS
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- iOS 7 and newer
- Android 2.3 and newer
Computer Speed and Processor
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Canvas has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments.
- Minimum of 512kbps
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Internet Explorer 10 & 11)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
To learn more about our online courses please visit: https://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/courses/online-courses-faqs